Tuesday, February 21, 2012

trying on vegan.

For the past month in Tucson I've experimented with being vegan. I've always thought it would be a fun challenge to try, but for some reason never did...perhaps because of time, lack of energy, and my love for cheese. Since I've been here, I keep hearing repeatedly about the link of illness with the consumption of animal products--totally makes sense to me. So, I thought I would give it a try. It's not as hard as I thought it would be ONCE I found a milk replacement for my morning cha :) An eye-opening observation I've made is that there's a sprinkle of cheese on so many dishes here in the states. I never realized how much cheese we all consume until I started saying "please hold the cheese" and yes I even did this at mexican restaurants. I will say, I feel more energetic and less weighed down...didn't even realize I felt that way before. Will I continue being vegan? I'd like to...it's already so difficult being vegetarian in the south, now let's see what being vegan will do!

1 comment:

  1. hi resh! it's so much easier than you may think! i've stopped almost everything except eggs, and i make sure the eggs i buy are either cage-free/organic/free range or local farm raised. it's weird, but i almost think finding a non-meat option is harder than finding a non-dairy option. i too thought cheese would be impossible, but honestly, it's not that bad at all! i still allow myself a pizza every so often, but i've felt a noticeable difference! good luck! thanks for taking us along on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete