Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm a survivor.

Beyond my own expectation, somehow I managed to survive my first night on call in the CCU as an upper level. My adrenaline was sky-high and I felt like the energizer bunny, making rounds repeatedly on patients. I had one patient in particular who had a low potassium of 2.0, from medications he was receiving while hospitalized. Despite our many efforts to replete his potassium it would either not budge or would decrease. I was beyond nervous. I just felt like he was going to code any second. I kept going into his room, making him eat bananas and drink orange juice--he thought I was insane, but he was like 'doc whatever you want me to do, I'll do it, I don't wana die'. Made my heart mush. The morning aftewards his potassium was still a whopping 2.3 after receiving a total of 240 meq of potassium, absolutely ridiculous. I can laugh about my neurotic behavior now, but that night I was literally on edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment