Thursday, January 6, 2011

accepting imbalance.

The demands of life are often far greater than I can handle. I awoke today to several emails stating I must complete x, y, and z or this would be a poor reflection of my professionalism. Quite a threat and a rather intense way to start the day in my opinion. I work at least 80 hours a week and often more than that, but my responsibilities still succeed those hours. I don't know how one finds the time to accomplish all that is needed. I've always strived for a life of balance and pride myself for the ways I've been able to do so. However, today I am realizing that perhaps it is not possible to live a balanced life while in residency because time is simply limited and insufficient. I feel, in order to experience the peace I so desire, surrendering to a life of imbalance is the most probable way. Ironically, I came across this thought during my reading today: 'When you act in ways unlikely to fulfill your genuine desires, you experience the inner friction of a life out of balance.' Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment