Monday, February 28, 2011

what has happened to the human spirit?

I walked into work today, smiling, upbeat and with a positive attitude. As I was sitting down to review the patient list on my service, my pager goes off. I read the text that stated something like, 'this is the 4th page I'm sending, the next time I am going to page the attending' all in regards to a patient's elevated BP. For the record, that was the first page I received so you can only imagine how the rebel and non-obedient inner-self within me handled such a proclamation. I calmly and promptly returned the page, letting the nurse know that it was inappropriate to greet me with such threatening remarks, which needless to say spinned into a heated dialogue or why else would I be sharing this right? Her page was wrong for many reasons, a few I'll share: #1 she was paging the wrong person #2 there were medications already in place for BP that she did not see and #3 she lied stating she paged me numerous times. It was a completely unprofessional interaction and had me fired up all day. See, in a non-teaching hospital this behavior simply would not be acceptable. Beyond that and on a deeper level, I can't seem to understand what has happened to the human spirit. I can't imagine she would treat a patient so disrespectfully, so then why me? This is clearly not an isolated experience, I've seen this repeatedly among residents, in particular the females. I just wonder have we as a society become so overworked and unfulfilled that we no longer find appreciation and meaning in the simple interaction among humans? Have we become so cold and distant that were are numb to others? See, I come from the perspective that we all are the same and one for that matter, so when you hurt another spirit you are actually hurting yourself. Perhaps this is all something limited to the hospital and residency and I'm just being dramatic, I'm not sure.

1 comment:

  1. unfortunately, i'm sure it's not limited to the hospital. it's everywhere. and i'm with you, it's completely irritating. i guess the only thing is to keep plowing through, correct when wrong and lead by example?

    ReplyDelete